Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, cheeks, throat (pharynx), sinuses, and hard and soft palate. While oral cancer can usually be successfully treated when detected early, most cases of oral cancer are not detected until they have progressed into a more serious, advanced stage that is much more difficult to treat. In fact, oral cancer may be life-threatening. At our office, we are dedicated to doing all we can to detect and treat oral cancers and other abnormalities at the earliest possible stage. During your routine dental cleanings and exams at our office, our dentist and team will perform an oral cancer screening to check for the signs of oral cancer.
The following are common symptoms of oral cancer:
- A persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- A persistent or lasting sore on the face, neck or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain or numbness in the face, neck or mouth
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps or rough spots on the gums, lips or other parts of the mouth
- Red, white or speckled red-and-white patches in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking or swallowing
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
While our team will perform a screening for oral cancer to check for these and other symptoms, we encourage you to contact us if you notice any of these problems or if you experience any other type of dental pain. We are committed to helping you stay in good health.
When it comes to oral abnormalities, early diagnosis and treatment is crucial. To help you keep your mouth healthy for life, our dentist and team perform oral cancer screenings in Atascocita, Texas. If there are any irregularities in your mouth, Dr. Sam may recommend that you seek an examination by your medical practitioner. Call 832-995-1444 to schedule with us at Sam’s Smile Dental.